Friday, February 17, 2012

A reason, A season, or a lifetime....

Years ago, while going through a very difficult time in my life someone shared with me the idea that people come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime. This simple phrase has become a large part of my life since then... I truly do believe that all people (and even events) happen in your life for a reason and those people and/or events are either their for a season or a lifetime. The people that leave our lives were only meant to be there for a short time, most likely because we needed them or they had something to teach us but they weren't meant to be a permanent fixture in our lives. This is perhaps the hardest thing I've learned, so many times I've sat and questioned why someone would disappear from my life and why certain things have happened.
This blog with often have an underlying theme of my evaluating and reflecting on why certain people are in my life and why certain events happen.
Let's talk about some of the people in my life and what they've brought or taught .....
There's my dear friend in Miami who after 20 years of friendship and long bouts of little contact is still one I know I can call on when I need to talk or need advice. She's taught me that you can overcome obstacles in your life, are stronger than you realize, and that it's not the end of the world to let loose sometimes or to voice your opinion. She's strong willed, intelligent, and kind hearted. I've learned that friends don't need to talk every day or live next door in order to remain friends.
There's Aly T who came into my life at a time when I was struggling with having a husband who was deployed, then she stood next to me (while hundreds of miles away) as I dealt with a divorce.She helped me realized I deserved more and that I was stronger than I thought. She taught me that it was okay to guard myself but that I needed to be willing to let love back in again, she taught me to always look toward the sun in my darkest days, she taught me that you don't have to meet someone in person first to have a strong friendship. Aly T is no doubt going to be in my life for a lifetime. This lady came into my life for a reason... because I needed that person I could call at 3 am, I needed someone willing to call 30 times a day , I needed that best friend who could literally tell by the way I answered the phone that I indeed was not ok even if I tried to say I was. I needed that friend who laughed with me when something funny actually happened, who encouraged me to find something I was passionate about and to reach for my dreams. I needed that best friend, the sister I'd never had..and she was brought into my life when I needed her most... 5 years later and she's still all of those things.. her living in Japan makes things difficult but this season won't last forever...

There's J who though we went to high school together it wasn't until 2009 that she came into my life as a close friend. She was there as I was learning how to function "riding solo" and she taught me how to have fun again. We were in a similar season of life at the time and it seemed to bond us. She taught me that kindness and genuine goodness still exists in the world. She reminded me that I have a lot to be thankful for and that a smile is the easiest way to brighten someones day. She taught me that true friends invest in each other's lives, she taught me you don't have to be blood to be family. Then she went and got married on me and seeing her marriage she's showed me that a good, happy, equal marriage is possible and that sometimes love really does come at unexpected times. She taught me that sometimes life events happen quicker than you expect but those are sometimes the biggest blessings. And her beautiful daughter has already taught me that I can be completely in love with a child who isn't mine.


Oh my goodness I still have people to share with you, those "lifetime" people who've came into my life for a reason.. but it's 11:30p.m... I'm tired.... and I work in the morning... Expect a continuation of this later...and of course I'll dish some about the people who's seasons in my life have expired and what I've learned from them....

1 comment:

  1. I LOVELOVELOVE those friends who really teach you how to live your life a little better, a little happier, a little stronger. :]

    ReplyDelete