Sunday, May 6, 2012

God Gave Me Him.....


God Gave Me Him…..
*I’m not often one to be all lovey dovey and mushy, but this post will be.. so if you’re the type to roll your eyes over stuff like this, then go ahead and  skip to the next post J *
Blake Shelton sings a song titled “God Gave me You” and most every time I hear it lately I mentally change the word “you” to “him”… I truly believe this. You see, just a few months before I met my boyfriend I began praying that God would send me someone who was right for me. After a bad marriage and years of dealing with my emotions and dates that lead nowhere I finally stopped leaving it up to myself and gave God the reigns. On February 29, 2012 (Leap Year Day)  I accepted a friend request on Facebook from a guy I’d already been Facebook friends with before.  Two days later we had a several hour long chat on Facebook in which the conversation flowed so well that we exchanged numbers that night and I impulsively asked him to come meet me the next day.

 Our first “date” was at an Odyssey of the Mind competition in which I had a team competing. I was stressed, I was random, I was definitely not at my best after being with Middle School children all day long and yet he wasn’t deterred. We grabbed a quick bite to eat before I had to go to my weekend job and he again overlooked the fact that I had a mop and a broom shoved in between the two front seats and that I had trouble looking at him that day(a fact that he pointed out to me not long ago). 
The next night (a Sunday), after I’d spent all day working on a massive Masters Degree assignment he convinced me to meet him for ice cream (ok, so it didn’t really take much convincing)… I showed up in sweats, and barely any make up on. I remember being concerned that he’d lose interest once he saw me like that, but I also didn’t have the time to waste to ‘pretty myself up’.  Longest ice cream date ever and one I didn’t want to end. That Monday we met for dinner and went to watch a Regional High School Basketball championship game. Not the fanciest or most romantic idea, right? Yet this was the night I began to realize that there could be something more than just a few dates. He galloped with me in the parking lot on the way in, danced in our seats during the game, joked with me about the cheerleaders I was so intently watching, didn’t look at me like I was crazy when I started doing a mix between skipping and walking on the way to his truck, and sang along with me as I belted out song after song that played on the radio (and I’m a terrible singer!). After he took me back to my car we sat in his truck singing and talking for what was probably hours. Then the song “She’s Everything” by Brad Paisley started playing and just as I was mentally thinking of how many times I’ve wanted a guy to feel like that about me he turns to me and says “this would be a great song to dance to” I ask “here?now?” and next thing I knew we were standing in an empty parking lot slow dancing, trying to ignore the train that was passing through, having our first kiss and I was falling hard. It literally seemed like a scene out of a movie and later as I retold the story to my friend Whitney, it earned him the nickname Nicholas Sparks…. Which later became Nicky-Bob after I bragged on how he’d cooked for me.. (a mix now between Bobby Flay and Nicholas Sparks)…

                That’s just the backstory.. that’s not the reason I feel God sent him to me. It’s been just over two months, and while yes, I know by most people’s standards two months isn’t long enough to even entertain ideas that this could be anything terribly serious, I already know it is and becomes more serious with each day. I’ve sat here for what seems like forever trying to think of how to say everything I want to say. It’s not that he does all these sweet things (although they’re definitely a bonus) it’s the way he makes me feel. I’ve made lists before of things I wanted in a guy and a relationship, in fact I found something I’d wrote just over a year ago about just that… but when friends would really question I would tell them it all boils down to the way he makes me feel. 

This guy makes me feel everything I’ve wanted to feel. I’ve never felt more respected, comfortable, supported, adored, challenged, admired, as if I’m a priority and completely happy.  I’m not expected to be anything but myself and that is such an amazing feeling. This guy has already went through some rough and stressful times with me. I’ve had high stress levels due to work and school and then added stress of family issues  and he’s been my shoulder to cry on and an ear to listen. I’ve opened up to him more than I would have ever imagined I would have at this point. I find myself wanting to share every tiny detail of my life with him and if I’m having a bad day just a hug from him makes me feel as though a weight of my problems disappear. I’ve often heard people say you should marry your best friend, and that idea was pretty foreign to me... but the more I spend time with him the more I realize it is possible that he could possibly become not only my boyfriend, but also my best friend. I’ve also never felt that I have to question anything with him. I don’t question his intentions, his feelings, and there are absolutely no trust issues. I feel he is completely genuine even when he’s saying all these kind, sweet things that I would usually roll my eyes at. He makes me want to be a better person and to be the best me I can be.

This is the guy who can give me a hug and a kiss on the forehead when I’m stressed and instantly I feel as though a huge weight has been lifted. This is the guy who tells me I’m a good person and that to me means more than telling me I’m pretty… but I don’t get tired of hearing him tell me I’m beautiful either. This is the guy who I find myself smiling when I look at him, even when he’s not looking because he truly makes me that happy.This is the guy who quotes scripture to me when I’m  really struggling with something. This is the guy who turns to me one night and assures me that he’d never do anything to hurt me, and I honestly believe it. This is the guy who looks at me another night and says “do you know what comes to my mind when I think of you?”  and though I expected some pretty words about how pretty or smart or kind I was instead he quotes James 1:17 “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow or turning”. This guy feels as though I’m good and perfect (for him) and a gift from God. As we continued that conversation he admitted to me that he feels as though I’m “an answer to his prayers” that he too had spent years praying for God to send him someone, that he used to pray for his future wife, but since becoming involved with me he now prays for ME and I believe this because so many times I’ve asked him to pray for me and he’s assured me that he’d already prayed before I even asked. And as crazy as it sounds I'd already found myself praying for him and as though he was an answer to MY prayers before he even mentioned that to me. 

Oh my goodness.. I could type all night and never be able to say all that I feel. Bottom line, this guy didn’t come into my life by accident and I have a very good feeling that he’ll be in my life for a long, long time. When you find someone who compliments your personality  so well, who understands you, who knows what you’re thinking before you ever open your mouth, who comforts you , who makes each day better , and whose actions make you feel more loved than you’ve ever felt before that’s when you know that he was brought into your life by someone who knows your every need better than you do.  I thank God every day for bringing him into my life...every single day.. 

2 comments:

  1. I pretty much cried through your whole post. I love you and I'm so happy for you. My heart is filled with JOY!

    ReplyDelete